Monday, November 14, 2011

Nimboi-Binderay National Park

Monday morning and the rain has stopped.  There are no leaks in my tent and my Dad did not get too wet in the van.  Bonus.  We laugh about how after handling the rain so well on our first night, we won't have any camping challenges left... MwHaahaahaahahaha...

Upon reaching Grafton we stop to buy fuel where my Dad the navigator forgets to ask for directions at the service station and so we are lost again.  This just serves to confirm one of my existing beliefs ~ that men don't really like to ask for directions.

We cross the Clarence River and stop at the information office.  We finally work out where the old Armidale Road turns off and continue South.  The road is mostly bitumen with some good dirt road patches toward the end.  Neither of us have been through here before.  The route has large amounts of State forest either side of the road.

We drive too far, turn back and finally recognize the entrance to Moonpar Rd into Nimboi-Binderay National Park by the really big National Park information booth off the side of the road.  On the way to Platypus Flat camp site we stop at Norman Jolly Memorial Grove for lunch and walk the Coachwood track.

My Dad and a tallow wood tree looking at each other 

Interestingly Coachwood and Tallow wood often grow in pairs.  They must like each others company for some reason.  I realize now where I get my love and fascination for trees.  It's genetic.

I think my Dad secretly loves trees.   One of the reasons we are here is that there is a walk called Red Cedar Track.  My Dad got excited about seeing Red Cedars when talking about where to travel this holiday.  He has never seen one before.  They are very rare and most were apparently chopped down for furniture making. So the Red Cedars is really why we are here.   We have driven 400 kms to see some Red Cedar Trees.  

No comments: