Sunday, November 13, 2011

Camping in November

This blog is now about me making memories of my Dad and me.

After failing to leave at a reasonable time yesterday, we leave Sunday mid morning.    I highly recommend taking the scenic route away from the M1 and instead head South over the Gold Coast hinterland through Numinbah into Springbrook National Park.  We stop for lunch in the parks day use area and continue on for our first walk at Natural Arches.

Natural Arch - Springbrook National Park

This is the first time my Dad has seen Natural Arch.  He is 68 years old.  I have been here a few times and it is always worth coming.  Each time I come there is more people visiting.  Under the rock is dark and cool.  Apparently glow worms live here.  I have never seen them.

We drive on to Murwillumbah, continue down through Nimbin and into Lismore.  We get lost at Lismore despite me being here a month ago for the Masters Games.  Sign posting for smaller roads in this town is dreadful.

We are wanting Wyrallah Rd but we head out toward Ballina at the direction of two tourists who believe themselves sure of giving us correct information.  That is the last time I am asking directions from a couple of English tourists.  Eventually we turn around and drive back to Lismore where I stop a couple of locals who look a little scared at the prospect of me asking them for directions.  I must look really frustrated by this stage.

So we finally end up on the Wyrallah Road to Woodburn and then back on to the Pacific Highway.  We are trying to outrun the rain, but it catches up with us big time as the sun is setting.  Suddenly remembering that we have forgotten about daylight savings does not make the situation better and we stop at a little caravan park on the road into Illuka just as the owner is closing up the office.

It is pouring rain now but we insist on camping only.  He obviously thinks we are mad.  Our tent and van go up fairly quickly despite me not really knowing what I am doing on my first go with this tent.  It rains and it rains and it rains.  We wonder if we should check the weather reports for the next week but we still make dinner under our canopy.

No comments: