Monday, November 3, 2008

In 5 Years Time I Suspect I May Be Totally Irrevelant

According to Saturdays Career Market Newspaper, I am no longer considered a person highly sort after by todays' recruitment gurus. Apparently these days;-

"An 'I'll do anything' attitude won't impress in today's job market - employers like candidates with clear direction and drive who know how their skills can benefit a company"

I once thought I knew what I wanted from my employment, but recent work events have left me totally re-evaluating this aspect of my life. Now, not only do I not have a clear direction, but I also don't have motivation to care what I want from my work besides a payslip.

I have never been able to project myself five years into the future and claim with any integrity to know where I'll be. Right now, I am not even interested in pretending I know where I fit in a company that I've never worked for, let alone where my potential employment will fit in the Grand Five Year Plan.

Nor am I interested in lying about how driven I am when lets face it, todays companies are only interested in draining that last drip of drive right out of their employees for the smallest payment they can get away with.

But generally, when I am employed, I am the person who will happily do what ever is asked of me. I am the person who is prepared to come up with solutions as well as implement them to see if it helps. I am the person who works longer hours, who doesn't mind working outside their job description if I'm capable and that's what it takes to make it work.

Apparently those qualities are no longer sought after. So for the first time in my life, I can say that if this is the future of employment, I suspect that in 5 years time, I may be totally irrelevant.


No comments: